Thursday, June 05, 2008

My new twitter like toy, Plurk

Over the past six months or so, I have posted over 3000 messages on twitter, put up with the ups and downs of the site and grown to love the site in spite of its short comings. That was until this week when I discovered the promised land of social networking micro blogging sites.

Plurk, has a flavor much like that of twitter, in fact most of the twitter folks are there. There is one distinct difference. Plurk allows you to take part in a pure conversation directly in the users plurk, creating a near real time conversation between many people, much like the party lines of old.

While it has a ways to go to be perfect, Plurk is definitely a step up from the singularity of the twitter world. It allows you to follow multiple discussions all within the same time frame with by the minute break down of the Plurk chain, making it easy to find discussions you are taking part in. Another nice feature is the fact that the handling of the microblogger follows similar patters to the twitter ones.

If you havent tried out Plurk yet, you should. Just a bit of fore warning. It is addictive and you will find yourself among the sleep deprived of your fellow Plurkers. But until you get to the point of completely screwing up your sleep patterns, have fun and enjoy the graphical interface.

URL's
My Plurk -- http://www.plurk.com/user/semipro
My Twitter -- http://www.twitter.com/semipro

2 comments:

Ann Handley said...

I'm a recent Plurk devotee, too. Both Twitter and Plurk have strengths/weaknesses. At some point, I'll have to pitch my tent in one camp or the other. I'm not looking forward to that day....

plurk.com/annhandley

Frosty said...

I agree with you completely, although for now I am pitching my tent in several. Each one at this point seems to have their strengths and as long as you play to those strengths, then your experience should be good.